Training & Tools
The American Press Institute offers a wide range of training, online learning, guides and tools.
Here is an overview of what you can find here:
- Content strategy and new metrics: We use custom-built content analysis software, new journalism metrics and innovative audience surveys to help publishers build smarter, more data-driven content strategies.
- Fact-checking: We are leading a project to increase and improve the practice of fact-checking in journalism.
- Workshops and training: API conducts in-person training events in cities around the country, to help journalism innovators tackle important challenges and adopt new best practices.
- Online learning: Our e-learning section offers courses in digital news and business models.
- Digital tools catalogue: With our partners at Poynter and the Knight Foundation, we provide a series of free webinars that show you how to use digital tools like DocumentCloud, Zeega, PANDA and more. We also offer a crowdsourced directory of more software tools and apps to empower your journalism and your business.
- Journalism Essentials: Introductions to the principles of journalism and the fundamentals of reporting, writing and editing.
- Youth news literacy resources: For educators, students and news professionals helping young people understand and create news.
- Diversity programs: We support efforts to diversify newsrooms and to produce journalism that reaches minorities and other underserved audiences.
Learn from past American Press Institute programs whose lessons have been captured online: