API is hiring a Reader Revenue Program Manager
The American Press Institute is hiring a Reader Revenue Program Manager to lead API’s efforts in helping news organizations cultivate loyal, paying readers.
The future of news will increasingly depend on support directly from audiences. The person in this job will have a unique opportunity to lead the industry forward on such an important and high-interest issue.
This person’s primary responsibility is to work with senior leaders of news organizations across the country, to support and accelerate the growth of subscriptions and other consumer revenue. They will work directly with partner news organizations on understanding the path people take to subscription, gather and spread best practices among partners, lead API’s groundbreaking research efforts, and help develop innovative approaches to generating subscriptions through understanding audience data, marketing, communication, content strategy, and more.
We are looking for candidates who may or may not have worked for a news organization. We are open to candidates from other backgrounds or even different industries. What matters is they have relevant insights and skills. They also must have a passion for the mission of helping America’s public-interest news organizations achieve sustainability.
The work touches on all forms of audience revenue — digital, print, events, and more — but is particularly focused on the fresh potential for growing digital audiences and subscribers.
The American Press Institute is a nonprofit organization based in Arlington, VA, that works closely with journalists and news leaders to create more innovative and sustainable news organizations. Its leadership and staff come from diverse journalism backgrounds and have close ties to many of the best leaders and innovators across the news industry. The person joining our team in this role would also be connected to all of API’s research, events, hands-on consulting, and other efforts. API is committed to building a culturally diverse work group, and we encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
This person’s primary responsibility is to work with senior leaders of news organizations across the country, to support and accelerate the growth of subscriptions and other consumer revenue.”
Job duties include:
- Leading a working group of API partner news publishers who share experiences and information with each other about reader revenue strategies. Stay in contact with partner publications, identify experiments and approaches that are succeeding, and communicate publicly and to partners about what we are learning.
- Help news publishers identify reader segments — from casual users to frequent readers to subscribers — and understanding their characteristics and how to get the most value from each segment.
- Working with API’s Metrics for News partners and analytics data to develop unique insights about what types of content and editorial strategies can best support current and potential subscribers.
- Coordinate API-supported research by public opinion research partners, academic researchers, and others, that will shed new light on key issues related to subscription strategies and reader motivations.
- Evangelize new approaches and communicate knowledge publicly — via reports, blog posts, conference presentations, and more — about the cutting edge strategies to grow subscriptions.
- Bring your own ideas, and develop others in the course of this work, about how else to make an impact on this issue.
Requirements and qualifications:
- 3 or more years of employment history in any of the following: journalism, marketing, consumer research, product development, audience development, or other related fields involving digital consumer revenue. Be sure to tell us how your particular background applies to this work.
- Demonstrated interest, ideas, and passion for helping news organizations develop new business models, in particular reader revenue.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Full-time position with health benefits and 401k retirement plan
- Competitive salary, commensurate with skills and experience
- Flexible, modern work environment with management focused on your results and productivity, not hours spent at a desk
- We will consider remote applicants, however there is a preference for candidates who live in or can relocate to the Washington, D.C., area and work from API’s office in Arlington, VA
Applicants should submit a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and the American Press Institute, as well as any supporting materials, a resume, and references. Please send to email@example.com and mention “Reader Revenue Program Manager” in the subject line.