API is looking for an experienced freelance UX/UI designer or design firm to help with a new product feature in an existing news analytics platform.
In this project, the designer will work with API to design a new feature for Metrics for News, a strategic tool that enables newsrooms to simplify data and act on analytics to more deeply engage their audiences, attract new ones and grow reader revenue.
This role will require the designer to design the new feature, informed by their own knowledge of best practices, API’s input, and gathering feedback from select customers. This involves conceiving and designing data presentation, interfaces for users to enter data and manage settings, and reports or dashboards in which users can explore visualized data analytics.
During an introductory Zoom call we can show prospective designers the current system and define more precisely the scope of the work and the role the designer would play.
Designers should have the following experience or skills:
- Experience with end-to-end product design (from ideation to full production and prototyping skills), including supporting engineering with production design and creating CSS
- Experience defining requirements, not just translating existing requirements into designs
- Ability to simplify complex experiences elegantly
- Solid understanding and experience with designing effective data visualization tools and dashboards
- Can perform both interaction design as well as visual design
- A portfolio and website that demonstrates cross platform design experience creating responsive layouts for desktop, mobile, web and apps that exhibit excellent use of information architecture, layout, color and imagery (graphic design and typography skills a big plus)
- Lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping skills, using standard design tools i.e. Sketch, Framer, Adobe XD, Sketch, Principle, Flinto, Invision, etc.
- Experience conducting semi-structured user interviews, contextual field visits, usability studies either live or remote e.g. Userzoom, usertesting.com, etc.
- Ability to translate insights from user studies into meaningful user flows that create a delightful user experience
- Familiarity with news analytics is a plus
How to apply
To apply send an email with a bio or note about yourself, a CV/resume, link to your portfolio and three professional references to Liz Worthington, Director of Metrics for News, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the American Press Institute
The American Press Institute advances an innovative and sustainable news industry by helping publishers understand and engage audiences, grow revenue, improve public-service journalism, and succeed at organizational change. The American Press Institute is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization affiliated with the News Media Alliance. It works with and draws on the best ideas from anyone working in news publishing and journalism and anyone interested in its mission of making journalism sustainable.