The American Press Institute is hiring a Program Associate to coordinate important details of events and services it provides for news organizations.
This person will primarily be responsible for ensuring that events and activities are planned well, run smoothly, and any follow-up tasks are handled. There will be about 12 to 20 events per year of varying sizes and types, from small one-day meetings to large multi-day training programs. The person will manage event registration, reservations and reimbursements for travel and lodging, venue arrangements and other administrative needs for programs managed by API.
A significant part of the job will involve the logistics and travel for the Knight Lenfest Local News Transformation Initiative, colloquially called the “Table Stakes” change management program. This change-management program, managed by API, coaches leaders of local news organizations across the country toward rapid and continuous innovation.
About a third of the job will focus on other API activities, such as our Thought Leader Summits. Some of the job will involve tabulating responses to surveys that help identify the skills gaps and cultural issues in news organizations, part of API’s newsroom learning services.
API is a nonprofit organization based in Arlington, VA, that leads and inspires innovation in the news industry. Foremost, we help local news publishers grow and sustain their businesses by better by focusing on the audiences’ needs and behaviors.
The key functions and responsibilities of the Program Associate are:
- Handling event registration, travel, lodging, venue logistics, payments and reimbursements for participants
- In some cases, travel to events to help handle event management tasks on site
- Conducting basic tabulation of newsroom surveys and evaluations, culture workshop notes, and other tasks
- Processing invoices, contracts, consulting agreements and other administrative tasks
- Assisting API’s Executive Director as needed on travel and other logistics
- Assisting API staff as needed on other event activities, including content planning and evaluation
We are looking for candidates with most of the following skills and experience:
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent time-management skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Basic computer skills including spreadsheets and Google Drive. Experience with SurveyMonkey survey analysis and administration is helpful.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and many external partners
- Some experience with coordinating logistics for events and gatherings of different sizes is preferred
- Familiarity with the news business and current issues affecting the news industry is helpful
This is a full-time position with health benefits and 401k retirement plan, and a salary commensurate with skills and experience. Candidates must live in or relocate to the Washington, D.C., area and work from API’s office in Arlington, VA.
How to apply
TO APPLY: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Program Associate” in the subject line. Include a resume, tell us about yourself and why you are interested in and qualified for this job. Please include three professional references or be prepared to provide them upon request.