The American Press Institute is hiring a Marketing Manager responsible for using strategic communications to increase the reach, relevance and engagement for our programs and services.
API is a nonprofit organization based in Arlington, VA, that leads and inspires innovation in the news industry. Foremost, we help local news publishers grow and sustain their businesses by better by focusing on the audiences’ needs and behaviors.
Our team of about a dozen people come primarily from journalism backgrounds, however, having experience working in a media or news organization is not a requirement. We are seeking candidates with professional marketing experience who can help our programs and resources reach people in the news industry.
We are looking for creativity and energy. Someone who can prioritize, plan, and execute marketing strategies using disciplined, results-based methods. Someone who can identify core value propositions of our work and express them in language tailored to different groups. Someone who can keep track of multiple projects and meet deadlines. Someone who is excited about the role that journalism plays in a healthy society and democracy, and who wants to help us advance that cause.
The key functions and responsibilities of the job are:
- Help API identify and target new audiences and potential consumers of our programs and services, by planning and executing marketing strategies that include targeted campaigns, content creation, direct email outreach, social media, or other methods.
- Work collaboratively with other API staff to help maximize the impact and reach of API’s wide range of research, training, experiments and technology programs.
- Help API identify and leverage new channels to distribute research and program opportunities to more kinds of journalists and news organization leaders
- Develop, execute, and measure tailored strategies to advance particular API programs and products, including: Metrics for News, our Adviser program, the Need to Know newsletter, and major API research that is released occasionally.
- Work with program staff to raise awareness and reach of the so-called Table Stakes program and the Better News website that promotes what has been learned in the program.
- Is the primary owner of and content producer for API social media accounts. This person will develop and execute social strategies that use those platforms toward our broader marketing goals.
- Coach and support other API staff in how to communicate about their own programs and activities.
- Create or supervise the creation of images and multimedia assets for marketing campaigns.
- Occasional travel to meetings, API-organized summits or industry conferences.
Our ideal candidate has the following skills and experience:
- Minimum 5 years experience in a relevant marketing or strategic communications job, with results to show.
- Demonstrated experience in social media marketing, targeted digital advertising campaigns, email outreach and other forms of messaging.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple program areas and internal stakeholders
- Excellent time-management skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Familiarity with the news business and current issues affecting the news industry is helpful
- Experience with multimedia editing and production (such as creating images or video to support a marketing campaign) is helpful
- Experience conducting marketing research, UX research, or other forms of learning by listening to the target audiences, is helpful.
This is a full time position with health benefits and 401k retirement plan, and a salary commensurate with skills and experience. Candidates must live in or relocate to the Washington, D.C., area and work from API’s office in Arlington, VA.
About the American Press Institute
The American Press Institute advances an innovative and sustainable news industry by helping publishers understand and engage audiences, grow revenue, improve public-service journalism, and succeed at organizational change. The American Press Institute is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization affiliated with the News Media Alliance. It works with and draws on the best ideas from anyone working in news publishing and journalism and anyone interested in its mission of making journalism sustainable.
How to apply
TO APPLY: Please send an email to email@example.com, and include “Marketing Manager” in the subject line. Include a resume, tell us about yourself and why you are interested in and qualified for this job, and attach any samples of prior work that may be relevant. Please include three professional references or be prepared to provide them upon request.