The American Press Institute is seeking an Executive Director who will be a passionate and inspirational advocate for API’s work to advance an innovative and sustainable news industry. In partnership with the Board of Trustees, staff, and key external stakeholders, they will build upon the organization’s momentum and strong foundation to lead the strategic direction and overall effective management of the organization. They will build the organization’s capacity to effectively manage and implement API’s priorities.
Board Relations and Strategic Vision
• Developing and refining the API’s strategic plan in conjunction with the Board of Trustees and staff, with focused execution; aligning the budget and staff accountabilities to these priorities; and regularly communicating with the Board on progress toward achieving the organization’s goals.
• Forging a transparent, collaborative, and trusting relationship with the Board.
• Engaging the Board as appropriate for strategic guidance and insights.
• Performing other such duties as the Board shall from time-to-time designate.
Partnership and Relationship Development
• Forging strong relationships with current and prospective key partners and stakeholders across the news publishing and media community to advance the industries’ priorities and garner increased visibility and impact for API’s research.
• Cultivating key collaborations with peer organizations to include public speaking engagements, national and regional meetings, webinars, publications, blogs, among others.
• Enhancing fundraising by deepening and broadening key funding relationships and strengthening the processes, systems, and structures to support sustainable development goals.
• Identifying new value-added products and services that provide value and drive revenue growth to ensure financial strength for future innovations and investments.
• Ensuring API is financially sound to meet short- and long-term financial obligations.
• Committing to active targeted fundraising. API’s commitments to invest in critical research, programs and services identified in the strategic plan are supported through smaller, more targeted “grants” as opposed to “leveraging the balance sheet”.
• Presenting the Board with an annual budget that is aligned to the strategic plan for review and approval. Communicating with the Board regularly on the organization’s short-, intermediate- and long-term fiscal health.
Organizational and Staff Leadership
• Attracting, engaging, retaining, and developing a talented diverse team of professionals to achieve excellence in achieving API’s objectives.
• Establishing clear priorities and accountabilities across the organization.
• Cultivating a culture of collaboration, teamwork, innovation, service, and results.
• Leading organizational change as appropriate to ensure the continued relevancy and quality of API offerings.
• Developing and implementing internal policies and procedures that facilitate the success and development of team members.
External Affairs and Strategic Communications
• Strengthening and extending API’s brand equity nationally to support the organization’s awareness among diverse target audiences and stakeholders.
• Serving as a principal spokesperson in all venues.
• Orchestrating the development of a strategic communications plan to amplify visibility and adoption of API’s work to diverse audiences.
• Communicating a strong value proposition to stakeholders and funders; creating a compelling agenda that attracts, engages, and sustains strategic involvement by senior leaders among these diverse organizations.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
The ideal candidate is an executive-level leader with the passion, leadership experience, credibility, and knowledge of the news industry to advance API’s mission and effectively implement the organization’s strategic plan. They possess an exceptional record of achievement and have demonstrated their strategic and visionary leadership skills with an organization of similar scale and complexity. They possess executive gravitas and influence skills, essential for garnering the trust and engagement of the Board of Trustees, key stakeholders, staff, and the broader news industry. They have served in executive leadership positions with significant people management responsibility, leading teams through periods of change and transformation. They have earned an outstanding reputation for integrity, trust, fairness, and transparency. Specific experience and qualifications include:
• Visionary leadership, capable of anticipating and addressing significant trends and drivers impacting API’s current and future agenda. Demonstrated agility to address disruption, lead change and manage through ambiguity.
• Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills, key to forging and sustaining strong relationships and engagement with the Board, current and future funders, and other key stakeholders. Effective at engaging diverse stakeholders, managing conflict, and influencing others.
• Strategic communications and branding expertise, key to amplifying the visibility of API’s research among targeted audiences.
• An articulate, credible, and persuasive spokesperson with a wide range of diverse audiences. Outstanding listening skills.
• Inspirational marketer and fundraiser for the organization — responsible for creating and successfully executing fundraising programs that increase revenue and financial support from a variety of sources to drive financial stability for the organization and its programs.
• Experienced staff leader, with demonstrated track record for attracting, developing, retaining, and engaging strong diverse professional talent, and building and managing a high-performing, collaborative team in a results-oriented, fast-paced environment. An effective delegator to senior staff whose background and experience complement that of the Executive Director.
• Demonstrated track record and commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
• Proven organizational management, administration, and financial acumen, with an ability to optimize resources.
• A collaborative style, with strong consensus building skills both, internally and externally.
• The courage to proactively address challenging or controversial situations and, as appropriate, make critical decisions.
About the American Press Institute
The American Press Institute is a nonprofit organization based in Arlington, VA, that leads and inspires innovation in the news industry. Foremost, we help local news publishers grow and sustain their businesses by better focusing on the audiences’ needs and behaviors.
TO APPLY: Please apply via the Korn Ferry website. Korn Ferry, an executive search firm, is managing the search for and hiring of the Executive Director.