The American Press Institute is hiring a Marketing Manager responsible for increasing the awareness, reach, relevance and engagement for our brand, programs, products and services. With a background in multi-channel marketing and an emphasis on digital, the Manager will be a skilled and creative tactician who can also think and plan strategically in a collaborative environment.
API is a nonprofit organization based in Arlington, VA, that leads and inspires innovation in the news industry. Foremost, we help local news leaders grow and sustain their businesses by focusing on audiences’ needs and behaviors.
The main goal of this position is to build and maintain awareness of API as an entity and of its programs and services. We are seeking candidates with professional marketing experience who can help our programs and resources reach a diverse group of people and organizations across the news industry. This role is about 30 percent strategic and 70 percent tactical.
We are looking for creativity and energy: Someone who can prioritize, plan and execute marketing strategies using disciplined, results-based methods. Someone who can help identify core value propositions of our work, express them in messages tailored to different groups and assist and support staff in communicating them regularly. Someone who can keep track of multiple projects and meet deadlines. Someone who is a self- starter and thrives in an entrepreneurial culture. Someone who is excited about the role that journalism plays in a healthy society and democracy and who wants to help us advance that cause.
The Marketing Manager plays a central role in increasing API’s reach and helping us to tell our story to partners, program participants, funders and other stakeholders. This position reports to the EVP/Chief of News Transformation and will have visibility with all levels of API staff. Our team of about 15 people come primarily from journalism or media backgrounds. Experience working in a media or news organization is not a requirement, but an awareness of or exposure to journalism, media or its business is helpful.
Click here to apply
Include a resume and cover letter.
What You’ll Do
The key functions and responsibilities of the job are:
- Develop and execute marketing strategies for API’s programs and services that include targeted campaigns, content creation, direct email outreach, social media or other channels. Those programs include Metrics for News, Source Matters, Table Stakes, our listening and DEI programs, the Need to Know newsletter, the Better News website, API research and other initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with other API staff to identify and target new audiences for API’s wide range of research, training, experiments and technology programs.
- Facilitate production of promotional materials, from conception to publication.
- Write dynamic copy for promotional emails, web content, advertisements, brochures and other collateral. The ability to develop creative, clear, persuasive and original copy is essential.
- Create or supervise the creation of images for marketing campaigns.
- Collect and report metrics on marketing efforts, analyze the data and use results to improve future marketing efforts.
- Develop and execute social strategies that use API social media accounts to share editorial content and program opportunities aligned toward our broader marketing and branding goals. This work would be done collaboratively with the Editorial Associate.
- Manage updates of marketing-related information about programs and services on API-operated websites.
- Help API identify and leverage new channels to distribute research and program opportunities to more kinds of journalists and news organization leaders.
- Occasional travel to meetings, API-organized summits or industry conferences.
- Contribute to a workplace of inclusion and belonging.
Who You Are
Our ideal candidate has the following skills and experience:
- Minimum 3 years experience in a relevant multi-channel marketing or digital marketing job, with results to show.
- Proven expertise in executing campaigns that build awareness of a brand and its services, preferably for a non-profit or mission-driven organization.
- Demonstrated experience in social media marketing, targeted digital advertising campaigns, email outreach and other forms of messaging, including the use of digital tools (e-mail, social and analytics) to post, monitor and track performance.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple program areas and internal stakeholders.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to exercise initiative and self-direction in an entrepreneurial culture.
- Familiarity with the news business and current issues affecting the news industry is helpful.
- Experience with using visual digital tools such as Photoshop, Canva or others to create visual marketing content is helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or related fields preferred.
We believe that diversity in lived experiences, perspectives, knowledge and ideas strengthens journalism, its business and our own organization. The American Press Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage applications from candidates from communities traditionally underrepresented in journalism and from people of every age, race or color, ethnic background, country of origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, socioeconomic background, disability status, medical condition, military or veteran status, and marital or familial status.
We also know there are excellent candidates who might not have all the skills and experience that we have outlined. If that describes you, please apply and tell us about yourself and share your ideas for this role. You may be the ideal candidate.
This is a full-time position with a salary between $75,000 and $85,000 commensurate with skills and experience, and the following benefits:
- 20 days of paid time off, plus major holidays (9 per year)
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(k) plan with a generous matching policy
- Medical and/or dependent flexible spending plan
- Paid parental leave available
- Employer- paid life insurance, short-term and long-term insurance policies
- Pre-tax mass transit plan
- Professional development opportunities (for example, conference attendance or stipends for course enrollment)
API’s main office is located in Arlington, VA. We have a preference for candidates for this role who reside in or would relocate to the Washington, D.C., area. The API team is mostly working remotely at present and has fairly flexible expectations about working from the office or at home, even when conditions are thoroughly safe. Remote candidates should be willing to travel to the API main office for occasional meetings — typically trips of 2-3 days every 6-8 weeks — once it is thoroughly safe for employees to return to the physical office. The job also may include occasional travel to conferences or other API events.
To apply: Email a resume and a letter explaining your qualifications and desire for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also invite candidates to fill out our affirmative action form here. Please include this form with your application. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Please mention “API Marketing Manager” in the subject line so we can direct your application to the right people. Please be prepared to provide three professional references upon request.
Applications should be submitted no later than February 1, 2022.
Click here to apply
Include a resume and cover letter.
About the American Press Institute
The American Press Institute advances an innovative and sustainable news industry by helping publishers understand and engage audiences, grow revenue, improve public-service journalism, and succeed at organizational change. The American Press Institute is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization affiliated with the News Media Alliance. It works with and draws on the best ideas from anyone working in news publishing and journalism and anyone interested in its mission of making journalism sustainable.