API is currently hiring for the following positions:
- Director of Local News Transformation: This person will manage the core elements of a change-management program that coaches leaders of local news organizations across the country toward rapid and continuous innovation. Colloquially called the Table Stakes program, it brings together leadership teams from select local news publishers to provide coaching and peer learning that results in them solving essential challenges and gaining skills to lead the news industry toward a better future for years to come. The primary responsibilities are to manage partnerships among many stakeholders, to monitor and ensure the success of participating news leaders, to identify and integrate outside resources and experts, and to oversee communication strategies that spread the lessons of this program across the news industry.
- Marketing Manager: The American Press Institute is hiring a Marketing Manager responsible for using strategic communications to increase the reach, relevance and engagement for our programs and services. We are looking for creativity and energy. Someone who can prioritize, plan, and execute marketing strategies using disciplined, results-based methods. Someone who can identify core value propositions of our work and express them in language tailored to different groups. Someone who can keep track of multiple projects and meet deadlines. Someone who is excited about the role that journalism plays in a healthy society and democracy, and who wants to help us advance that cause.
- Program Associate: The American Press Institute is hiring a Program Associate to coordinate important details of events and services it provides for news organizations.
Students or recent graduates can apply for our paid summer fellowship program. We will be accepting applications for our 2020 fellowship program in the fall.
Freelance and consulting opportunities
API also works with many current and former journalists as short-term consultants to research and write Strategy Studies, put together Thought Leader Summit events, or help us in other ways with our programs. Below is a list of current areas in which we are seeking part-time freelance or consulting help.
- Research fellow: Research and contribute new knowledge that aligns with one of API’s primary areas of interest: understanding the audience, sustainable business models in journalism, culture change, or accountability reporting. On occasion API commissions scholarly work on these topics, written for a practical use among its news industry audience. API interests vary over time, please inquire (formed ideas are preferable).
Experience level: Graduate degree or higher, or roughly mid-career work experience.
Time commitment: About 12 weeks, or other mutually agreed timeline based on project.
Pay: Flat fee per project
- Research assistants: Work with API’s team to gather information about the news industry or produce relatively simple website elements drawing from API’s original research. A variety of tasks and roles are available at any given time, please inquire.
Experience level: Entry level, good for current journalism students or freelancers.
Time commitment: Flexible, choose your own work schedule.
Pay: Hourly rate
Contact us if you have an idea of a journalism-related research topic not listed here that you would like to propose doing with us.